Monday, June 2, 2008

16 Days in Vegas

May 27th 2008, I left San Diego to go visit my climbing partner and friend Chris Lindner in Las Vegas, Nevada. I arrived at 10:10 a.m. Greeted by Jodi Johnson (chris' girlfriend), Chris, and Josh (Jodi's Cousin). I was anxious to go climbing.  The evening of the 27th we ventured out to Kraft Rocks, a bouldering area just East of Red Rock Canyon. We warmed up, and were joined by local, Lilly, one of Jodi's climbing partners. Jodi sent her project: Potato Chips, which I believe is an old John Long Boulder problem. I stumbled up on the hill and found this amazing looking overhanging boulder, and proceeded to climb it. The picture to the right was taken by Chris details this climb. 
The Vegas trip is a training trip, and nothing but that. I am not so much focused on sending as much as I am getting mileage and experience on various routes. 
Mt. Charleston will be our main cliff of interest for the trip. The first day, Josh, Chris, and myself checked out a new cliff with an undecided name. There are two really cool new routes down there, plus a really unique bouldering area with a lot of route potential. After, we went to Robber's Roost. I worked on an extension that goes left @ the third bolt of "Connie Loves Daddy". It is long, technical, and exactly what I am looking for. We havn't been back yet to finish our projects. 
Adding to our training, we have been regularly attending Boot Camp Fitness classes. What is Boot Camp? Boot Camp is hardcore training that Chris teaches class 2 times during the week. Once and a full moon we complete these workouts 3 times a day (the workouts will be detailed below). 
Other climbing days have been spent up at Charleston's "The Hood". I have two seperate routes  I am projecting currently,  but have been open to trying everything. My two routes of interest are "Energizer" ar a route in the Compton cave originally bolted by Jeff Leads one of my personal friends. The other route is called "Warlords", which I have only been on once, but like it very much. This is an Old Dan Mcquade route, hard, but definately do- able for me. We have been climbing three days on now, and are also in the company of Dave Banks, Chris' former room mate from Salt Lake. We attended Bootcamp upper body this morning, but have been resting all day. Dinner is up, but what I really want to show you is my compilation of knowledge from our Boot Camp Work Outs. It is very good training for anyone who wants to get fit, and great cross training for the dedicated climber. Enjoy the summary, and stay tuned to many Posts ahead! Also, check out Asanaclimbing.com and check out their Blog Spot. I am one of their featured atheletes and amvery grateful and fortunate to be writing articles for their blog. On top of that and my own Blog spot now I feel like am falling in love with writing. Enjoy!


No comments: